The Service: What information do we collect from the Service?
The Service is a hosted instance of software known as Polyfill Service. Polyfill Service provides snippets of code, called “polyfills”, that allows websites to provide a consistent experience across different browsers. When you load a web page which uses Polyfill Service, your browser will download any polyfills required in order to present the web page successfully in your browser.
In order to provide the polyfills, the Service receives certain technical information from your browser including:
- browser details;
- connection details, such as your IP address, which can identify your approximate location and/or name of your ISP;
- the URL of the web page which has made the request to the Service.
We use the above information to determine which polyfills are required by your browser. We do not retain this information.
We may retain the following information:
- obfuscated IP addresses, this is an IP address with the last 3 digits removed or masked in order to anonymise it;
- the domain of the web page which has made the request to the Service;
- the user agent string for your browser;
- the set of polyfills that were requested by the web page;
- the URL and HTTP method used to access the service.
The information we retain cannot identify you. We retain it in order to identify which websites are using the Service and whether any websites are abusing the Service.
The Site: What information do we collect from the users of this Site?
The information we collect about you if you are browsing this Site may include the following details relating to your visit to the Site:
- browser details;
- time and date of access;
- usage statistics, for example frequency;
- connection details, for example which version of http was used and how long the connection took complete;
The information we retain cannot identify you. We collect the above information about users of the Site for the following reasons:
- to help monitor and improve the Site;
- to help strategic development;
- to monitor compliance with the Polyfill.io Terms and Conditions; and
- to audit usage of the Site and demonstrate usage to third parties.
Lawful basis for processing
We only process personal information where we have a lawful basis for doing so. We rely on legitimate business interests to process data relating to Polyfill.io, for example to monitor compliance with the Polyfill.io Terms and Conditions. We take due care to balance our interests against your right to privacy.
Who we share your information with
We may share your information with organisations that provide services on our behalf, such as those that host the Site or the Service, solely for the purposes of their providing those services to us.
We may also disclose your information to comply with applicable laws, court orders or other valid legal processes, and to enforce or apply the Polyfill.io Terms and Conditions or any of our other rights.
How long we retain data relating to Polyfill.io
We do not retain personal data relating to the Polyfill.io service. The data that we do retain has been obfuscated or aggregated, for example, IP addresses have the last 3 digits masked once we have determined which polyfills are required by your browser. We retain this non-personal information for 30 days.
How we keep your information secure
We have appropriate technical and administrative security measures in place to help ensure that individuals’ information is protected against unauthorised or accidental access, use, alteration, or loss.
Your personal information may be processed and stored outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
We do not retain personal data relating to the Polyfill.io service.
If you have any questions about the personal data processed as a result of your use of this service, please contact [email protected].
You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. In the UK, this is the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Polyfill.io is not intended for children under 16 years of age. We do not intentionally collect or use any information from children.
If you have a query in regards to the processing of your personal information, please contact our Data Protection Officer directly at [email protected].
This policy was reviewed on 26/06/2023 and last updated on 11/12/2023.